The crisp air, changing leaves, and lengthening nights mean fall has arrived. While many focus on their decorating efforts indoors, your outdoor spaces deserve some autumnal flair too. With these creative outdoor fall decor ideas, you can easily transform your yard, porch, patio or balcony into a seasonal showcase that will impress from Halloween through Thanksgiving.
Front Porch Decor
Greet guests with autumn charm by decorating your front porch or entryway. Try these fun DIY ideas:
- Pumpkins and Gourds: No fall display is complete without a mix of plump orange pumpkins and assorted gourds in natural colors. Stack them on the steps or arrange them in a wooden crate. Choose a variety of sizes and shapes for interest.
- Corn Stalks: Create instant autumn ambiance by bundling colorful Indian corn and dried corn stalks to hang on railings or prop by the door. Tie jute twine around them for a rustic touch.
- Flower Pots: Paint empty flower pots in fall hues like burgundy, orange, or gold and fill with mums, ornamental kale, or other seasonal blooms. Cluster together for impact.
- Wreaths: Craft natural wreaths from grapevines, leaves, or mini gourds to festively adorn doors or walls outside. Accent with plaid ribbon.
- Hay Bales: Place a few hay bales on the lawn or steps and then decorate with plaid blankets, pumpkins, and other accessories. Get creative with display.
- Scarecrow: Make a mini scarecrow with plaid shirt, jeans, straw hat and pumpkin head to greet guests with rustic charm. Lean him against the railing.
- Outdoor Runner: Sprinkle falling leaves down your front steps or sidewalk with an autumn-hued outdoor runner. Layer pumpkin and leaf mats.
- Fall Planters: Flank your entryway with classic urn planters overflowing with ornamental kale, pansies, chrysanthemums or other fall fare.
Outdoor Fall Planters
Use pots, planters and containers to display creative plant combinations:
- Ornamental Kale: The ruffled purple and white leaves of ornamental kale create striking fall texture. Surround yourself with pansies or mums for pops of color.
- Pumpkin Planter: Hollow out a real pumpkin and fill it with flowers, grasses or succulents for an easy DIY planter. Add a cute painted face!
- Red Twig Dogwood: The bright coral stems of this shrub shine in autumn. Pair it with yellow chrysanthemums or purple cabbage for contrast.
- Pine Cones and Acorns: Accent your plants by tucking in pine cones, acorns, and other foraged elements around the soil. Embed them creatively.
- Miniature Pumpkins: For simple yet cute decor, plant a pot full of mini pumpkins in a variety of fall colors and sizes. Let them spill over.
- Bold Foliage: Plant elephant ears, coleus, or crotons with their bold fall foliage in striking colors like burgundy, orange, and gold.
Autumn Welcome Signs
Add charming curb appeal with a custom outdoor sign:
- Painted Wood Sign: Stencil or freehand an autumnal message like “Hello Fall” or “Give Thanks” onto a wooden board or plank. Distress the edges of character.
- Chalkboard Sign: Write out greetings or draw fall motifs using chalk markers on a small black chalkboard easel. Change up the designs!
- Printed Banner: Print out leaf silhouette banners or messages like “Happy Harvest” using fall-colored fabric sheets or vinyl. Hang with jute.
- Etched Pumpkin: Carve a design, lettering, or monogram into a real pumpkin and display it as signage. Outline with acrylic paint.
- Dry Erase Board: Draw or write harvest notes on a dry erase board hung on the door or railing for an easy changeable sign. Get creative daily!
- Harvest Flag: Display a festive harvest flag with motifs like turkeys, autumn leaves, or bold “Welcome Fall” sentiments.
Seasonal Outdoor Touches
Finish your display with fun accents:
- Fall Leaf Garland: Celebrate autumn’s beauty by stringing real leaves together into a garland using floral wire. Hang along the railing or over the door.
- Scarecrow: Make a mini scarecrow with plaid shirt, jeans, straw hat and pumpkin head to greet guests with rustic charm. Give him character!
- Bales of Hay: Stack rectangular bales of hay on the lawn or steps to immediately conjure up the season. Pile pumpkins and gourds on top.
- Cornucopia: This classic horn-shaped symbol of harvest makes a beautiful centerpiece. Fill with fruits, veggies, flowers, wheat, and fall foliage.
- Fall Flags: Show your seasonal spirit by hanging autumn-themed flags with motifs like falling leaves, pumpkins, acorns, or turkeys. Mass display several.
- Outdoor Twinkle Lights: Enhance your display after dark with strands of white twinkle lights along the railing, hung in trees, or lining steps. Go crazy with lights!
Fabulous Fall Foliage Ideas
Transform your outdoor space using foliage:
- Leaf Pile: The quintessential indicator of fall is a giant mound of gorgeous fallen leaves. Let them accumulate naturally or rake a dramatic pile. Jump in!
- Maple Branch: Place a fallen maple branch in a vase or simply propped against your home to spotlight autumn’s vivid red-orange leaves. Prop several around.
- Wheat Stalks: The golden tan sprays of wheat offer rustic texture. Display them in a window box, planter, or tied with twine. Talk about texture!
- Leaning Ladder: An old wooden ladder becomes a creative seasonal decoration. Lean it against the house and adorn the rungs with berry vines or mini gourds. So creative!
- Window Boxes: Line your window boxes with caught-in-the-act fall leaves waiting to change color. Dogwoods offer burgundy tones. Layer and alternate colors.
- Leaf Footprints: Celebrate the little things by letting kids make leaf prints along the sidewalk or steps using fallen leaves and tempera paint. Make it a tradition!
Inspiring Fall Vignettes
Tie all the elements together to create an inviting fall scene:
- Pumpkin Patch: Designate an area as your own miniature pumpkin patch. Scatter mini pumpkins among corn stalks, hay bales, and fall mums or asters.
- Scarecrow Scene: Flank your scarecrow with corn stalks, a bale of hay to sit on, pumpkins, gourds, and a wheelbarrow overflowing with foliage.
- Bountiful Harvest: Decorate steps or patio with a still life of pumpkins, acorns, pinecones, flowers, leaves, and a rustic crate of apples and mini pumpkins.
- Botanical Display: Showcase gorgeous fall blooms like chrysanthemums, sedum, asters, and hardy hibiscus with interesting leaves and natural elements.
- Woodland Tableau: Create a magical autumnal scene with birch logs, acorns, pine, moss, and embellishments like a miniature wood nymph statue.
- Halloween Decor: Get your front yard Halloween-ready with pumpkins, corn stalks, spiders, and props like ghosts, tombstones, and skeletons.
Let your creativity run free! Layer textures, colors, natural materials, and fun touches to design an eye-catching autumnal display outside your home. With these inspiring ideas in your seasonal decor arsenal, you’ll be ready to showcase the beauty of the fall season through Thanksgiving and beyond.