Tossing, turning, and waking up in a pool of sweat is no way to get a good night’s rest. Overheating while you sleep can lead to reduced sleep quality, irritation, and constantly interrupted slumber. Investing in a top-notch set of cooling sheets designed to help regulate your body temperature is a game-changer for hot sleepers.
With so many options on the market claiming to offer a cooler night’s sleep, it can be challenging to determine which bed sheets will actually live up to their promises. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know about shopping for the best cooling sheets, from fabric technology to smart shopping tips.
What Are Cooling Sheets?
Cooling sheets refer to bedding products made from advanced ultra-breathable fabrics engineered specifically to help you maintain a comfortable, sweat-free body temperature as you sleep. They are designed with various high-tech features such as:
- Moisture-wicking Technology – Pulls sweat and moisture away from skin into the fabric where it quickly evaporates rather than getting trapped next to the body.
- Increased Breathability – Uses loosely woven or gauzy fabrics that maximize airflow and ventilation through the weave.
- Temperature Regulating Coatings – Some brands apply special coatings containing phase change materials that absorb and release heat.
- Natural Cooling Fibers – Fabrics like bamboo viscose, cotton, linen, and eucalyptus naturally excel at moisture and heat control.
- Adaptive Construction – Reacts and adapts to the sleeper’s individual temperature needs throughout the night.
With the right set of advanced cooling sheets, you’ll stay drier, cooler, and sleep comfortably without night sweats or restlessness. Say goodbye to kicking off blankets or cranking the A/C all night long!
Top Fabric Options for Cooling Sheets
One of the most important factors in choosing effective cooling sheets is fabric selection. Look for sheets crafted using these ideal cooling fabrics:
Cotton is a natural fiber that is highly breathable, soft, and moisture-wicking. Percale cotton weaves have a signature crisp, lightweight feel perfect for heat regulation. Pima or Egyptian cotton provide luxury comfort.
Bamboo rayon or viscose sheets feel extremely soft and silky. Bamboo fabric excels at wicking moisture and regulating body temperature. It’s also an eco-friendly choice.
Linen sheets have an airy, gauzy texture that feels light against the skin. The relaxed look and breathability of linen makes it ideal for cooling.
Tencel is an advanced fabric made from wood pulp cellulose. It has an ultra-smooth hand-feel and is even more moisture-wicking than cotton.
Some sheets blend fabrics like cotton/polyester or cotton/Tencel to maximize moisture control, softness, and durability.
Synthetic microfiber sheets resist pilling and wrinkles. They can sleep somewhat warm so look for moisture-wicking finishes.
Focus your search on sheets made using natural temperature-regulating fabrics or proprietary moisture-wicking blends. Avoid non-breathable materials like flannel, fleece, and polyester.
Key Features That Make the Best Cooling Sheets
When evaluating different cooling sheet sets, look for the following stand-out features:
Weave and Density – Looser weaves like percale, sateen, or linen allow ample airflow between fibers. Lower thread counts under 300 offer greater breathability.
Lightweight and Thin Fabric – Light, wispy fabrics made with minimal material release body heat and moisture better than thick, heavy sheets.
Moisture Wicking – The fabric should quickly absorb sweat, pulling it off your skin and towards the surface of the material.
Phase Change Technology – Some brands use special coatings or mineral-based technologies that absorb excess heat and release it back into the air.
Natural Fibers – Breathable fabrics like cotton, bamboo viscose, eucalyptus, and Tencel derived from plants excel at temperature regulation.
Textured Fabrics and Weaves – Multi-ply, gauze-like, waffle weave, or crepe textures provide more surface area for increased airflow.
Seeking out sheets with advanced fabrics engineered specifically for sweat-free cooling will ensure you get sheets that actually work.
Expert Tips for Shopping for Cooling Sheet Sets
Follow this advice when on the hunt for the ultimate cooling sheets for your bed:
- Read Reviews – Scan customer reviews and look for consistent praise of how cool the sheets slept, not just comfort.
- Compare Fabrics – Pay attention to the fabric content and construction. Focus on naturally cooling materials.
- Consider Weave – Percale, sateen, and textured weaves are some of the most breathable options.
- Check Thread Count – For cooling, look for counts between 200-400. Higher isn’t always better.
- See If There’s Tech – Phase change mineral coatings provide boosted heat releasing power.
- Touch Test – Feel sheets in person and select gauzy, lightweight fabrics that feel cool.
- Avoid Thick Sets – Single ply is optimal for breathability. Pass on flannel and fleece.
Taking the time to properly inspect potential sheets will ensure you select the very best set to keep you cool as you sleep all night long.
Caring for Your Cooling Sheets
Invest in a high-end set of cooling sheets, and you’ll want them to last. Follow these expert care tips:
- Wash in cold water on a gentle cycle to preserve fibers. Hot water can damage coatings.
- Skip the dryer and line dry to prevent shrinking fibers. If needed, tumble dry on low.
- Avoid bleach, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets which leave residue that diminishes moisture wicking.
- Be gentle when making the bed to prevent pilling. Fold sheets, don’t ball up.
- Wash sheets at least every 2 weeks to combat body oils, sweat, and dead skin buildup.
- Replace sheets annually or whenever you notice excessive thinning, holes, pilling, or loss of cooling power.
With proper care, your cooling sheets can continue providing sweat-free comfort for years.
Troubleshooting Common Cooling Sheet Issues
Having problems achieving cooler sleep with your new sheets? Try these troubleshooting tips:
Still Sweating at Night
- Lower bedroom temperature, stay hydrated during the day, remove excess blankets, shower before bed.
Sheets Feel Stiff and Crunchy
- Wash properly on gentle and air dry to maintain softness. Some sheets need breaking in.
Fabric Pilling Already
- Avoid hot water, strong detergents, and overusing the dryer to prolong sheet life.
Moisture Wicking Not Working
- Fabric may be worn out. Stick to quality materials. Time to replace sheets.
Fit Feels Off
- Improper sheet fit can prevent airflow. Ensure flat sheet fits mattress well.
Don’t give up! With the ideal set of advanced cooling sheets tailored to your preferences, you’ll sleep cooler and wake up dry.
When to Use Cooling Sheets
While cooling sheets can be used year-round, they really shine during hot and humid weather. Swap your sheets based on the seasons:
Summer – Switch to ultra-breathable cotton, bamboo or Tencel cooling sheets.
Winter – Favor cozy sheets like flannel to stay warm.
Spring and Fall – Choose medium warmth sheets or add a lightweight blanket.
Year-Round – Use cooling sheets all year if you sleep hot or live in a warm climate.
Choose the best sheets for your needs based on the temperature and your own body’s thermal tendencies.
Alternative Cooling Tactics for Hot Sleepers
In addition to moisture-wicking sheets, try these tips for keeping cool in bed:
- Lower thermostat temperature and use a fan
- Take a cool shower before bedtime
- Avoid heavy pajamas and blankets
- Use a gel-infused mattress pad or mattress with cooling technology
- Don’t eat spicy or heavy foods before bed
- Keep pets that emit heat off the bed
- Limit caffeine, alcohol, and electronics before bed
- Stay hydrated during the day
Find a combination of cooling sheets and other sleeping tips that work best for your needs.
Top-Rated Cooling Sheet Brands
Ready to upgrade your bedding? Here are some of the top brands for cooling sheets:
Brooklinen – Their linen and Tencel sheet sets excel at temperature regulation.
Purple – Their Sheets products use a super breathable, proprietary grid weave.
Slumber Cloud – Features unique Outlast technology to absorb and release heat.
Buffy – Their Breeze line uses ultra-soft eucalyptus for moisture control.
Cariloha – Bamboo viscose sheets tout moisture-wicking power.
PeachSkinSheets – Sports fabric wicks away sweat and keeps you cool.
Miracle Brand Sheets – Uses a proprietary Miratex fabric for airflow.
Saatva – Percale organic cotton provides natural breathability.
Cozy Earth – Bamboo sheets regulate heat and minimize sweat.
Snowe – Linen and cotton percale provide light, airy comfort.
With so many brands to choose from, evaluate materials and features to zero in on your ideal sweat-free sheets.
Sleeping hot and sweaty is an awful way to spend the night. Seeking out top-rated moisture wicking cooling sheets can help provide a cooler, drier night’s sleep. Look for sheets specially engineered from advanced fabrics like bamboo, linen, and Tencel to maximize airflow and temperature regulation. Avoid thick, heavy fabrics that trap heat. Peruse genuine customer reviews and test sheets in person for optimal breathability and coolness. Follow the care instructions to make your sheets last. With the right cooling sheets, you’ll stay perfectly comfortable all night long and finally get that quality sleep you crave. No more kicking, sticking to the sheets or waking up drenched – just restful slumber ahead!
What brand of cooling sheets do you swear by during summer or for year-round use? Share your top picks in the comments to help other hot sleepers stay chill at night!