This easy homemade rosemary parmesan bread recipe produces a beautiful artisan-style loaf with a crackly crust and fluffy, cheesy interior. Brushed with savory garlic butter, this bread makes the perfect accompaniment for any meal.
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn the secrets to baking the ultimate crusty, flavor-packed rosemary parmesan bread right in your own kitchen.
Rosemary Parmesan Bread
Baking homemade bread from scratch may seem intimidating, but this straightforward recipe results in a professional quality loaf with minimal kneading or effort.
The use of a preheated Dutch oven mimics the steamy environment of a commercial bread oven, creating that bakery-style crispy crust and soft fluffy crumb.
Savory Parmesan cheese and aromatic rosemary are kneaded right into the dough, taking the flavor to the next level. A final brush of garlic-rosemary butter over the hot loaf provides even more enticing aroma and taste.
Enjoy this bread right away with soups or olive oil, use for sandwiches or bruschetta, or store in an airtight container. The versatility and foolproof recipe makes it the perfect addition to any meal.
Overview of Ingredients
For the Dough:
- Bread flour – The higher protein content develops excellent gluten structure for chewy yet light bread.
- Instant yeast – This fast-acting yeast provides quick leavening without needing to first proof in water.
- Warm water – Helps activate the yeast and bring together ingredients. Avoid using overly hot water.
- Olive oil – Adds subtle flavor and keeps the dough tender.
- Kosher salt – Flavor enhancer that also strengthens gluten development.
- Grated Parmesan – Provides nutty, savory flavor and unique texture.
- Minced rosemary – Fresh rosemary adds woodsy aroma and taste.
For the Garlic Butter:
- Butter – Spreadable once softened, and perfect for coating bread.
- Minced garlic – Provides potent garlicky flavor when sautéed in butter.
- Dried rosemary – Reinforces the herbaceous notes in the dough.
- Kosher salt – A pinch further enhances overall flavor.
These simple whole food ingredients combine to create incredible flavor in every bite.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Rosemary Parmesan Bread
Making this easy homemade bread only requires a few steps:
Prepare the Dough:
- In a large bowl, stir together the bread flour, yeast, warm water, olive oil and salt until a rough, shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead by hand for 5-10 minutes. Knead in the Parmesan and rosemary until fully incorporated.
- Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1-2 hours until puffy and doubled in size.
Preheat the Dutch Oven:
- Place a 6-8 quart Dutch oven with lid in the oven and preheat to 450°F for at least 30 minutes as dough rises.
Shape the Risen Dough:
- Punch down the risen dough to deflate. Shape dough into a ball.
- Place on a floured baking sheet, cover with a towel and let rise for 30 more minutes.
Bake the Bread:
- Carefully remove the hot Dutch oven from the oven. Drop the risen dough ball into the preheated pot.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes until deeply browned.
- Remove loaf from oven and Dutch oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely before slicing.
Make the Garlic Butter:
- In a small bowl, mash together the softened butter, minced garlic, rosemary and salt until well blended.
Finish the Loaf:
- Use a pastry brush to spread the garlic butter evenly over the top and sides of the freshly baked loaf.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving. Store leftover bread in an airtight container.
Follow these simple steps for irresistible homemade rosemary parmesan bread hot from your oven.
Helpful Tips for Perfect Rosemary Parmesan Bread
Here are some top tips for achieving bakery-worthy results:
- Use a Dutch oven or heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid to trap in steam for maximum rise and a beautiful crust.
- Let the empty Dutch oven fully preheat before placing dough inside to mimic a professional bread oven.
- Develop gluten properly by kneading the dough very well until smooth, elastic, and not sticky.
- The super hot Dutch oven helps the dough expand rapidly for an airy interior crumb.
- Avoid lifting the lid during baking, which lets steam escape and lowers oven temperature.
- Check doneness by tapping the loaf – a hollow thump means it’s fully baked inside.
- Brush on the garlic butter glaze immediately after removing loaf from oven for best flavor.
- Allow bread to cool completely before attempting to slice or it may become gummy.
Follow this easy recipe and tips for crusty, aromatic rosemary parmesan bread worthy of any artisan bakery.